Natural Language Processing (NLP) Researcher
About Pangaea Data Limited
With the mission to improve patient outcomes, Pangaea Data Limited provides a machine learning based software product to its customers from the biopharmaceutical and healthcare industry for faster identification of patient cohorts based on phenotypes (clinical characteristics and symptoms) from electronic health records (EHRs) and unstructured doctors’ notes. This is critical for detecting patients at risk of diseases, finding genes linked to a phenotype in the context of drug or biomarker discovery, recruiting patients for clinical trials, conducting real world evidence (RWE) studies and matching the right patients with the right drugs. The company’s product has demonstrated that it is able to find the right patient cohorts at 50x speed and 30% higher accuracy when compared to alternative methodologies. All such work and metrics are published in high impact peer reviewed journals accessible through https://www.pangaeadata.ai/insights/.
Pangaea is based in San Francisco, London and Hong Kong and was founded by serial entrepreneurs who have raised more than £130 million through their work and is advised by leading experts from industry, Imperial College London and Stanford University. Pangaea’s investors include leading Deep Tech and Life Science funds and serial entrepreneurs who founded several UK and US headquartered unicorns. Pangaea is also selected by the UK Government as a leading digital health innovator.
Pangaea is looking for a talented researcher to join its founding technical team to design and develop novel state-of-the-art NLP/NLG algorithms which can potentially be productised in Pangaea’s core product (Pangaea’s Intelligence Extraction and Summarization – PIES). A strong research background, knowledge and skills on Machine Learning especially Natural Language Processing/Generation are essential.
- Understand the problems, pain points, challenges and requests in the industry and academics in NLP/NLG.
- Define research statement and write research plan and grant applications (when needed).
- Research, design, develop and optimise novel cutting-edge NLP/NLG algorithms to address real-world challenges such as extraction, prediction and summarisation.
- Monitor the impact of new research to determine if they achieved the goals set out for them at the start.
- Publish origin research works at top conferences and journals.
- Clearly communicate research plans with internal stakeholders and support colleagues on productisation.
- Understand the high-level company vision and goals, and ensure that these are reflected in ongoing research.
As an NLP researcher, you will be involved in leadership, research direction decisions and coordination between teams that go into the above process.
- A strong intuition for what makes products a joy to use.
- Empathy for how different users will need different things out of a product at different stages, and how to effectively serve these different needs in one product.
- Strong communication and mediation skills.
- Strong people skills and the ability to engage all levels of the organization (especially the front line).
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English.
- A strong research and software engineering background with machine learning expertise to understand how the user facing product will tie into research, backend and architectural decisions.
- With university research qualification (Doctorate) or equivalent research experience in industry in Natural Language Processing, Machine Learning and Deep Learning.
- Experience with research communities and/or efforts, including having published papers (being listed as author) at AI/ML/NLP/CV conferences (e.g. NeuraIPS, ICML, ICLR, ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, CVPR, KDD etc) and/or biomedical journals.
- Experience on general programming languages: Python, C++, Java, etc.
- Experience with deep learning, machine learning and NLP frameworks such as PyTorch (or TensorFlow), HuggingFace Transformer, Scikit-learn.
- Experience with working in Linux.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in productising the latest research outputs in machine learning and deep learning especially NLP/NLG.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience in writing research grant applications.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible working hours.
- Hybrid working from office and home.
- Salary dependent on experience.
- Benefits include private medical insurance, life insurance and travel cards.
- You would join a small, dedicated and fast-growing team.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about building a startup business from experienced professionals and serial entrepreneurs.
- We are currently supported by serial entrepreneurs and angel investors. You will have the opportunity to experience an investment life cycle for a startup and meet leading venture capitalists.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
The interview process will include three rounds. The first round will be a coding (software programming) interview which aims to evaluate your skills of coding and algorithm design. You will be asked to solve 2-3 algorithm problems online within limited time independently. The second and third rounds will be interviews with our senior management which will focus on your technical and personal skills, during which you would be expected to answer questions regarding your CV.
Application Contact Information
Please send your latest resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position will be highly visible to senior management within our company and at our customer organisations. Experience and knowledge of AI and NLP research for drug discovery or clinical trial or real-world evidence-based projects at scale is desirable.
Your application should be in English and include a cover letter highlighting your experiences with IT companies, biopharmaceutical companies, healthcare organisations, and research institutions along with your CV.
Pangaea Data is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.