About Pangaea Data Limited
Pangaea Data Limited provides a machine learning based software product to its customers from the biopharmaceutical and healthcare industry for faster identification of patient cohorts based on phenotypes (clinical characteristics and symptoms) from electronic health records (EHRs) and unstructured doctors’ notes. This is critical for detecting patients at risk of diseases, finding genes linked to a phenotype in the context of drug or biomarker discovery, recruiting patients for clinical trials, conducting real world evidence (RWE) studies and matching the right patients with the right drugs. The company’s product has demonstrated that its able to find the right patient cohorts at 50x speed and 30% higher accuracy when compared to alternative methodologies such as rule based natural language processing (NLP), keyword extraction and manual means. All such work and metrics are published in high impact peer reviewed journals accessible through https://www.pangaeadata.ai/insights/.
Pangaea is based in San Francisco, London and Hong Kong and was founded by serial entrepreneurs who have raised more than £130 million through their work and is advised by leading experts from industry, Imperial College London and Stanford University. Pangaea’s investors include leading Deep Tech and Life science funds and serial entrepreneurs who founded several UK and US headquartered unicorns. Pangaea has access to more than 500 million patient electronic health records through its partnerships with hospitals and other such providers from the US, UK, Europe, South America and Asia Pacific.
Role Description and Responsibilities
Pangaea is looking for product engineers to join its production team to design and develop the integrated applications to productise and demonstrate our research technology.
This is a broad role, which will shape as the business grows, but in the short term it will involve development of the software product and collaboration with the research team. A strong software engineering background and knowledge on Machine Learning, especially Natural Language Processing (NLP) are essential.
Key technical responsibilities will include:
- Design and develop the product with new features representing the needs of the users.
- Coordinate with the research team to develop and productise our NLP technology with proper APIs.
- To adopt an approach which maximises the value to the user, while minimising technical complexity.
- Prioritise tickets in bi-weekly sprint planning sessions to make sure we are regularly delivering small improvements, rather than only focusing on big feature releases.
- Develop User Experience (UX) strategies for regular monitoring and collecting user feedback. Formulate hypotheses regarding the UX of the product which we can answer with user feedback and testing.
This role will also involve working closely with internal teams (sales and marketing, support, business) to:
- Understand the users they engage with and the problems, pain points and requests they are experiencing.
- Clearly understand and communicate our roadmap and product changes in advance of their launch.
- Run early rounds of internal feedback gathering, before we launch to users.
- Understand how our internal tooling can be improved for internal users.
- Understand the high-level company vision and goals, and make sure these are reflected in ongoing product development.
As a Solutions Architect, you would be involved in product design, product development and coordination between teams that went into the above process.
- A strong intuition for what makes products a joy to use.
- Empathy for how different users will need different things out of a product at different stages, and how to effectively serve these different needs in one product.
- Strong communication and mediation skills.
- Strong people skills and the ability to engage all levels of the organization (especially the front line).
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English.
- A strong software engineering background with machine learning expertise to understand how the user facing product will tie into backend and architectural decisions.
- With university qualification (Bachelors or Masters or Doctorate) who have completed at least three years of university study in Computer Science, Medical Informatics or related.
- Experience (classroom/work) in Machine learning, Natural Language Processing, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Data Science, Data Mining and/or Bioinformatics.
- Experience on general programming languages: Python, C++, Java, etc.
- Experience with working in Linux.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in building commercial software systems or open-source libraries. Experience in designing the architecture of the software or library.
- Relevant work experience, including internships, full time industry experience or as a researcher in a lab.
- Experience with research communities and/or efforts, including having published papers (being listed as author) at AI/ML/NLP/CV conferences (e.g. NeuraIPS, ICML, ICLR, ACL, CVPR, KDD etc).
- Experience with building infrastructure and services on cloud platforms (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform).
- Experience in processing and analysing data in healthcare.
- Experience with Kubernets
This position will be highly visible to senior management within our company and at our customer organisations. Experience and knowledge of deploying AI and Data solutions for drug discovery or clinical trial or real-world evidence-based projects at scale is desirable.
Your application should be in English and include a cover letter highlighting your experiences with Biopharmaceutical companies and Healthcare organisations along with your CV.
Perks and Benefits
- Remote and flexible working.
- Salary depending on experience.
- Package of attractive benefits and discretionary bonus.
- You would join a dedicated and growing team.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about building a rapidly growing business from experienced professionals and serial entrepreneurs.
Application Contact Information
Please send your latest resume along with a cover letter to email@example.com.
Pangaea Data is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.