Role Description and Responsibilities
Pangaea is looking for product engineers to join its production team to design and develop integrated applications to productise and demonstrate our novel research technology.
This is a broad role, which will shape as the business grows, but in the short term it will involve development of the software product and collaboration with the research team. A strong software engineering background and knowledge on Machine Learning especially Natural Language Processing are essential.
Key technical responsibilities will include:
- Designing and developing the existing product with new features representing the needs of end users.
- Coordinating with the research team to develop and productise our NLP technology and other novel methodologies.
- Adopting an approach which maximises the value to the end user, while minimising technical complexity.
- Prioritising tickets in bi-weekly sprint planning sessions to make sure we are regularly delivering small improvements, rather than only focusing on big feature releases.
- Developing User Experience (UX) strategies for regular monitoring and collecting user feedback. Formulating hypotheses regarding the UX of the product which we can answer with user feedback and testing.
This role will also involve working closely with internal teams (sales and marketing, support, business) to:
- Understand the users they engage with, the problems they are facing, pain points and requests they are seeing.
- Clearly understand and communicate our roadmap and product changes in advance of their launch.
- Run early rounds of internal feedback gathering, before we launch to users.
- Understand how our internal tooling can be improved for internal users.
- Understand the high-level company vision, goals, and make sure that these are reflected in ongoing product development.
As a product engineer, you will be involved in product design, product development and coordination between teams that went into the above process.
About Pangaea Data Limited
Pangaea Data Limited provides a machine learning based software product to its customers from the biopharmaceutical and healthcare industry for faster identification of patient cohorts based on phenotypes (clinical characteristics and symptoms) from electronic health records (EHRs) and unstructured doctors’ notes. This is critical for detecting patients at risk of diseases, finding genes linked to a phenotype in the context of drug or biomarker discovery, recruiting patients for clinical trials, conducting real world evidence (RWE) studies and matching the right patients with the right drugs. The company’s product has demonstrated that it is able to find the right patient cohorts at 50x speed and 30% higher accuracy when compared to alternative methodologies, such as rule based natural language processing (NLP), keyword extraction and manual means. All such work and metrics are published in high impact peer reviewed journals accessible through https://www.pangaeadata.ai/insights/.
Pangaea is based in San Francisco, London and Hong Kong and was founded by serial entrepreneurs who have raised more than £130 million through their work and is advised by leading experts from industry, Imperial College London and Stanford University. Pangaea’s investors include leading Deep Tech and Life science funds and serial entrepreneurs who founded several UK and US headquartered unicorns. Pangaea has access to more than 500 million patient electronic health records through its partnerships with hospitals and other such providers from the US, UK, Europe, South America and Asia Pacific.
- A strong intuition for what makes products a joy to use.
- Empathy for how different end users will need different things out of a product at different stages, and how to effectively serve these different needs in one product.
- Strong communication and mediation skills.
- Strong people skills and the ability to engage all levels of our and the end user’s organization (especially the front line).
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English.
- A strong software engineering background with machine learning expertise to understand how the end user facing product will tie into backend and architectural decisions.
- With university qualification (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate) who have completed at least three years of university study in Computer Science, Medical Informatics or related.
- Experience (classroom/work) in Machine learning, Natural Language Processing, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Data Science, Data Mining and/or Bioinformatics.
- Experience on general programming languages: Python, C++ and Java
- Experience with working in Linux.
Nice to Have
- Experience in building commercial software systems.
- Relevant work experience, including internships, full time industry experience or as a researcher in a lab.
- Experience with research communities and/or efforts, including having published papers (being listed as author) at AI/ML/NLP/CV conferences (e.g. Bio-IT, NeuraIPS, ICML, ICLR, ACL, CVPR and KDD).
- Experience and knowledge of deploying AI and Data solutions for drug discovery or clinical trial or real-world evidence-based projects at scale is desirable.
- Knowledge of working in AWS environment.
Perks and Benefits
- Remote and flexible working.
- Highly competitive salary depending on experience.
- Package of attractive benefits including stock options and discretionary bonus.
- You will join a dedicated highly renowned team offering you the opportunity to grow and develop your professional skills and profile.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about building a rapidly growing business from experienced professionals and serial entrepreneurs.
Application Contact Information
This position will be highly visible to senior management within our company and at our customer organisations.
Your application should be in English and include a cover letter highlighting your experiences with Biopharmaceutical companies and Healthcare organisations along with your CV.
Please send your latest resume along with a cover letter to email@example.com.
Pangaea Data is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.