Natural Language Processing Engineers
About Pangaea Data Limited
With the mission to improve patient outcomes, Pangaea Data Limited provides a machine learning based software product to its customers from the biopharmaceutical and healthcare industry for faster identification of patient cohorts based on phenotypes (clinical characteristics and symptoms) from electronic health records (EHRs) and unstructured doctors’ notes. This is critical for detecting patients at risk of diseases, finding genes linked to a phenotype in the context of drug or biomarker discovery, recruiting patients for clinical trials, conducting real world evidence (RWE) studies and matching the right patients with the right drugs. The company’s product has demonstrated that it is able to find the right patient cohorts at 50x speed and 30% higher accuracy when compared to alternative methodologies. All such work and metrics are published in high impact peer reviewed journals accessible through https://www.pangaeadata.ai/insights/.
Pangaea is based in San Francisco, London and Hong Kong and was founded by serial entrepreneurs who have raised more than £130 million through their work and is advised by leading experts from industry, Imperial College London and Stanford University. Pangaea’s investors include leading Deep Tech and Life Science funds and serial entrepreneurs who founded several UK and US headquartered unicorns. Pangaea is also selected by the UK Government as a leading digital health innovator.
Pangaea is looking for a talented engineer to join its founding technical team to develop and productise cutting-edge NLP algorithms in Pangaea’s core product (Pangaea’s Intelligence Extraction and Summarization – PIES). A strong software engineering background, knowledge and skills on Machine Learning especially Natural Language Processing are essential. This role is open to new graduates and junior engineers.
- Understand requirements of Pangaea’s product and solutions.
- Maintain and implement product roadmap according to the requirements.
- Design and adopt cutting-edge NLP algorithms to address real-world challenges such as intelligence extraction and prediction.
- Productise, develop, optimise and deploy NLP algorithms, supportive modules (such as architects, data processors, APIs) and other features in Pangaea’s product PIES.
- Adopt approaches which maximise the value to the end user, while minimise technical complexity.
- Prioritise tasks in weekly or bi-weekly sprint planning sessions to make sure we are regularly delivering small improvements, rather than only focusing on big feature releases.
- Monitor the impact of new features and releases of products, to determine if they achieved the goals set out for them at the start.
- Publish origin research and engineering work to conferences and journals.
This role will also work closely with internal teams to:
- Understand the users they engage with and the problems, pain points and requests they are seeing.
- Clearly communicate our roadmap and product changes in advance of their launch.
- Run early rounds of internal feedback gathering, before we launch to users.
- Understand how our internal tooling can be improved for internal users.
- Understand the high-level company vision and goals, and make sure these are reflected in ongoing product development.
As an NLP engineer, you will be involved in product decisions and coordination between teams that go into the above process.
- With university qualification (Bachelors, Masters, Doctorate) who have completed at least two years of university study in Computer Science, Informatics, Data Science, Engineering, or related.
- Experience (classroom/work) in Machine learning, Natural Language Processing, Algorithmic Foundations of Optimization, Data Science, Data Mining and/or Bioinformatics.
- Experience on general programming languages: Python, C++, Java, etc.
- Experience with deep learning, machine learning and NLP frameworks such as PyTorch (or TensorFlow), HuggingFace Transformer, Scikit-learn.
- Experience with working in Linux.
- A strong intuition for what makes products a joy to use.
- Empathy for how different users will need different things out of a product at different stages, and how to effectively serve these different needs in one product.
- Strong communication and mediation skills.
- Strong people skills and the ability to engage all levels of the organization (especially the front line).
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing, in English.
- A strong software engineering background with machine learning expertise to understand how the user facing product will tie into backend and architectural decisions.
Nice to Have:
- Experience in building commercial software systems.
- Relevant work experience, including internships, full time industry experience or as a researcher in a lab.
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with research communities and/or efforts, including having published papers (being listed as author) at AI/ML/NLP/CV conferences (e.g. NeuraIPS, ICML, ICLR, ACL, EMNLP, NAACL, CVPR, KDD etc) and biomedical journals.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible working hours.
- Hybrid working from office and home.
- Salary depending on experience.
- Benefits include private medical insurance, life insurance and travel cards.
- You would join a small, dedicated and fast-growing team.
- You will have the opportunity to learn about building a startup business from experienced professionals and serial entrepreneurs.
- We are currently supported by serial entrepreneurs and angel investors. You will have the opportunity to experience an investment life cycle for a startup and meet leading venture capitalists.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Application Contact Information
This position will be highly visible to senior management within our company and at our customer organisations. Experience and knowledge of developing and deploying AI and Data solutions for drug discovery or clinical trial or real-world evidence-based projects at scale is desirable.
Your application should be in English and include a cover letter highlighting your exYour application should be in English and include a cover letter highlighting your experiences with IT companies, biopharmaceutical companies, healthcare organisations, and research institutions along with your CV.
Please send your latest resume along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pangaea Data’s headquarters is in London (UK) with teams in San Francisco (US) and Hong Kong. For more information please visit www.pangaeadata.ai.
Pangaea Data is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.